The Danforth Jewish Circle is seeking a Treasurer to join its Board of Directors.
The Danforth Jewish Circle is a joyous and inclusive, accessible and inspiring Jewish community located in the heart of Riverdale.
Our members include singles and families of all ages who come from diverse Jewish backgrounds and cultural traditions, interfaith and intercultural families, and the full spectrum of sexual orientations and gender identities. Together we share a desire to learn, question, and foster a warm, welcoming and supportive Jewish community.
We join to connect ourselves to a vibrant community; to learn and grow; to share moving, musical, and meaningful rituals and lifecycle events; and to stand against injustice and seek ways to repair the world (Tikkun Olam).
We are an egalitarian, unaffiliated community that is part of a larger progressive Jewish movement. We share in the rich wisdom and inspiration of Jewish tradition and culture while seeking to challenge, explore, and reinterpret it.
For more information, see our website https://djctoronto.com/
We are in the process of updating our financial and accounting processes. This work is anticipated to be complete by July 1, 2019.
- Chartered Professional Accountant
- Experience working with not-for-profits and charities
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online
- Good communication skills and ability to operate as part of a team
The Treasurer is a full member of the Board of Directors, expected to participate and vote on all Board matters.
Specific Treasurer responsibilities include the following:
- Act as the principal financial officer of the organization
- Attend monthly Board meetings, approximately 3 hours in duration
- Ensure the Board executes its financial governance, stewardship and fiduciary responsibilities
- Chair the Finance Committee
- Oversee the transition to new financial processes and systems; provide advice to the Board on how to increase efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations (financial management, controls, budgeting and reporting systems)
- Work with the bookkeeper and administrator to keep an accurate and detailed account of monies received and disbursed throughout the year; act as one of the signing officers for disbursements
- Review monthly financial reports and report to the Board on a quarterly basis
- Oversee preparation of year-end financials, CRA reporting and charitable receipting
- Prepare the annual budget in collaboration with staff, the Finance Committee and Board
- Review ongoing financial performance and long-term sustainability of our organization and recommend to the Board any courses of action required for improvement; ensure the board is aware of financial risks
- Oversee asset management, development of endowment funds and insurance
- Organize or provide financial training to the Board of Directors
- Position starts November 2019
- Length of commitment: 2 year term, renewable
- Estimated hours required: 10-12 hours per month in addition to the monthly board meeting, with additional hours typically required for year-end, AGM and budgeting
How to apply:
Interested? Questions? Please send us an email with your resume and cover letter telling us why you’re interested in the position by June 30, 2019.
Email Kathy Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org