Full Day Inclusive Ritual Leadership Training
September 11 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Join us for the full day on September 11th, and an evening follow up session on September 14th
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11: FULL DAY – 9:30 am – 4:00 pm.
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14: EVENING – 7:00 – 9:30 pm.
Help us grow inclusive leadership at the DJC! Are you interested in making a blessing or opening the ark at High Holydays or on Shabbat, having an aliyah or taking on a ritual leadership role in our community?
The DJC has developed a learning and training program open to all members, Jews and non-Jews alike, to be able to knowledgeably step into a ritual leadership role in our community. (Click here to read the details of the community decision and the goals of the Ritual Leadership Training program.) Participants also make a commitment to ongoing Jewish learning.
Our program will support you to become a shali’ach/shlichat tzibbur (representative of the community and Jewish people). Your learning will provide you with the tools needed to lead a communal ritual or prayer with integrity. Tools include:
- Jewish knowledge related to the ritual action in its full context (eg. knowledge of Torah, of prayer and blessing, of the occasion being celebrated, how to do the ritual and why, etc.);
- Understanding of the words one says (of the blessing or prayer) and exploring the personal integrity of saying those words (while there is a wide range of ways of interpreting them);
- Developing the conscious intention of honouring Torah, honouring the Jewish people, and enabling others to engage in that particular Jewish practice through the ritual action/mitzvah of the shali’ach tzibbur;
- Making an abiding commitment to the Jewish people and Jewish life beyond the moment of the ritual;
- Seeing oneself as part of the unfolding Jewish story – linked to the past and actively sharing responsibility for the future.
If you’re interested in learning more about our unique Ritual Leadership training, please email us to learn more.