Since 2007, the DJC B’nei Mitzvah Program has been offering a unique,
year-long program of weekly learning within a group of peers, culminating
in a B’nei Mitzvah ceremony on a Shabbat morning in May or June. It’s one
of the highlights of our year.
The Danforth Jewish Circle Bnei Mitzvah program meets weekly on Sundays for two hours, and also includes many additional programs such as Shabbat dinners, family learning sessions, and field trips. We explore contemporary and historical issues, using Jewish texts, thinkers, and traditions to guide us.
The curriculum is focused on:
- Blessings and ritual
- Shabbat, holidays, and the Jewish calendar
- Exploring conceptions of God and divinity
- Jewish texts, including the Torah (emphasis on the Bnei Mitzvah parsha)
- Jewish history, including the Holocaust
- Tikkun olam (repairing the world) and social justice themes through a Jewish lens
Through the interactive group setting and innovative curriculum, we work
together to craft knowledgeable, feminist, liberal Jewish identities and
practices. We inspire curiosity, strive to give students the tools to
search for their own answers, and have fun! The group setting is an
invaluable resource, providing support and creating community within a
cohesive group of peers in a similar stage of life.
In our culminating group ceremony, all students share the light and shine
collectively, rather than individually, joining together to joyously share
their vision of themselves as young Jews. The entire DJC community,
friends, and family are invited to celebrate together as we welcome these
students into a life-long relationship with Judaism as thinking, creative
- The B’nei Mitzvah program runs from September to May/June.
- Classes are held weekly on Sundays for two hours. Field trips and other programs may occur outside of this time.
- The DJC registration process prioritizes students who have been enrolled in the Grade 6 class of the Children’s Jewish Studies Program.
- These families are invited to apply first, and any open spots are then offered to families on our wait list.
- Membership in the DJC community is required for the B’nei Mitzvah Program.
- The B’nei Mitzvah ceremony is held on a Saturday morning in May or June.